Frequently Asked Questions
Don't see your question answered? Just ask.
Who is eligible for a grant?
All current US Staples associates who are full-time and part-time (except for seasonal and/or temporary associates) are eligible to apply to The Staples Share Fund in times of severe financial need; however, the significant qualifying circumstance must occur while employed with Staples and the associate must be active or on a company approved leave of absence at the time the grant payment is made.
Associates residing in Canada, please visit here.
Situations that may qualify for assistance
- The Staples Share Fund offers US associates financial assistance when dealing with significant loss and severe economic hardship due to natural disasters or significant personal events or other circumstances beyond the associates’ control.
What other resources should I try besides the Staples Share Fund?
- The Staples Share Fund grants are not meant to replace other available resources such as: medical/life insurance, short/long term disability coverage, personal savings, 401(k) hardship loan, and assistance from family members, etc. Associates should also consider contacting the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) that is managed by e4Health. e4Health can be reached at 1-800-227-2195 or at www.helloe4.com. When faced with the death of an immediate family member Staples offers funeral planning and concierge services through The Hartford's group life insurance program to help mitigate the expense. For more information call The Hartford's Funeral and Concierge Services at 1-866-854-5429 or go to www.everestfuneral.com/hartford and use code HFEVLC.
How do I apply for a grant?
- If you have a severe financial need due to an emergency you may qualify for the Staples Share Fund. Apply by clicking the "Apply" link in the main navigation at the top of the page. Return the completed application and required supporting documentation to the Staples Share Fund.
Which family member does the Staples Share Fund consider as eligible immediate family?
- The Staples Share Fund considers the associate, their spouse, minor children and other dependents for which the associate is 100% financially responsible as eligible, immediate family. Typically, immediate family members are those who can be covered by the associate's insurance. Parents, grandparents or other relatives are not considered dependents unless the associate can show they are 100% financially responsible for that relative (i.e. a copy of the most recent tax return showing dependents).
What documents do I need to supply?
- Required documentation depends upon the reason for the request.
1. Natural disaster (flood, tornado, etc. Other critical incidents (fire and acts of violence) that cause a dramatic disruption in income or loss of primary residence: Associate's primary residence is severely damaged, destroyed or rendered unlivable by a localized natural disaster (fire, flood, tornado, mudslide, etc.) or federally/state declared natural disaster or terrorist attack. Amount of Grant: Depending on financial hardship. Required Documentation: Proof of home ownership or copy of lease agreement, photographs of damaged residence, insurance claim, fire, police or insurance report, lodging receipts/bill, repair estimates, furniture bill, etc. 2. Serious illness or accident of the associate, spouse/domestic partner or immediate family member (assistance will not be provided for expenses covered by medical or disability insurance): Funds available to assist associates who have encountered financial hardships for reasons beyond their control (illness, injury). Amount of Grant: Depending on financial hardship. Required Documentation: Copy of lease agreement, mortgage statement, utility bills, medical bills, etc. Items that will not be considered include: credit card debt, other discretionary or elective bills, bills related to car repairs, child support, attorney fees or garnishments of an associate's paycheck due to past debt. 3. Funeral expense of an associate, immediate family member or spouse/domestic partner: Available to assist those who have incurred the loss of an associate or immediate family member or spouse/domestic partner, if the associate is financially responsible for arrangements. An associate's spouse/domestic partner may apply for assistance in the event of an associate's death. To help mitigate the expense please contact The Hartford's Funeral and Concierge Services at 1-866-854-5429 or go to www.everestfuneral.com/hartford and use code HFEVLC. Amount of Grant: Depending on financial hardship. Required Documentation: Copy of death certificate, a statement from the funeral home indicating financial responsibility of associate and a copy of the funeral bill. 4. Military deployment: To assist associate's family when they or their spouse/domestic partner has been called to active duty. Amount of Grant: An initial payment once an associate or spouse/domestic partner is deployed for one month. Once an associate or their spouse/domestic partner is deployed six months, the family will be eligible for an additional grant. Required Documentation: Official documentation from the military, copies of utility bills, rent/mortgage statement or other bills where assistance is needed.
How long will it take before I receive the grant?
- The Staples Share Fund strives to turn around a response within 5 business days (excluding weekends and holidays) from the time a complete application is received. Please note that processing time will be extended in cases where we are missing documentation, signatures, or if other information is needed.
How will I receive the grant?
- For all approved requests, wherever possible, the Staples Share Fund will mail the check directly to the associate.
What if I leave the company prior to receiving the grant?
- Associates must be employed at the time of the disbursement of the grant. The only exception is if you are part of a reduction in force. If you have already submitted your application and then are laid off prior to the disbursement of the grant; assuming your application meets the criteria of the Staples Share Fund, you will be eligible for a grant.
How often can I apply?
- Generally, an associate may only receive one grant award for the same qualifying event. Associates may only apply 4 times in a fiscal year (Feb to Jan) regardless of whether those applications are approved or denied. Likewise, an associate may only receive a maximum of $4,000 in a fiscal year (Feb to Jan).
What if my immediate family member also works for Staples? Can we each apply for a grant for the same event?
Can the Staples Share Fund be used for medical expenses or bills?
- No, Federal law prohibits the Staples Share Fund from making any grants designed to replace or supplement Staples’ compensation or benefits to its associates, due to this law, the Staples Share Fund CANNOT provide grants to help pay for medical expense.
How can I donate?
- There are many ways to support the Staples Share Fund: by payroll deduction, by personal check (made payable to The Staples Share Fund) or by PayPal, or by running a fundraiser within your Staples location.
Is my donation tax deductible?
- The Staples Share Fund is a 501 (c) (3) organization. Donations are tax deductible. Our Federal Tax ID is 46-3476388.
Who decides on grants?
- The Staples Share Fund is run by a volunteer board of directors made up of associates who hold various level positions within Staples, Inc. The Board of Directors have established guidelines for a selection committee, also made up of volunteers, spanning various levels from Staples, Inc., who decide on the grants.
Can I designate my donation to a particular associate or associate's family member?
- Donations to the Staples Share Fund cannot be targeted to a specific individual(s). Grants will be allocated according to the rules and procedures of the Staples Share Fund.
If I sign up for automatic payroll deductions, how long do I have to give?
- As long as you want, you can opt out anytime. For example: If you want to cancel your contributions after a year, just log into your MyHR account and change your payroll deduction preferences. You can also set an end date when initially signing up.
What if I work for a subsidiary of Staples, Inc.? (i.e Quill)?
- All US associates of Staples and its US subsidiaries are able to apply for grants from the Staples Share Fund. We are working on expanding to Staples companies outside the US, but are not able to do so at this time.
How can I get involved with the organization?
- You can donate to support the work of the Staples Share Fund. If you want to volunteer in other ways, please email us at StaplesShareFund@staples.com and we will get back to you. If you have ideas, please send them along.